The church of Our Lady and St Cumin
The church of Our Lady and St Cumin lies in the village of Morar, on the west coast of Scotland, in the heart of the Highlands. It is a part of the world rich in history. It has been Catholic for the past 1400 years unbroken, being one of the few parts of Scotland that never changed at the Reformation.
For many years after 1560, when the Catholic religion was outlawed, it was a centre of resistance, of the clandestine practice of the Old Faith, of the secret training of priests, and of support for the Jacobite cause, with the people often protected by their clan chiefs.
The present church, built in 1889, expresses some aspects of this history, and reflects Morar’s spiritual traditions, which originate in the Celtic Church of St Columba.