Bornish, St Mary’s Catholic Church
Almost on the machair (the fertile strip of land next to the western coast of the Island) our church was built in 1837and remodelled in 1955 when the porch, a Lady Chapel, and sacristy were added, and the interior of the church extended.
During this renovation under the careful gaze of the famous architect Reginald Fairlie – the original plaster was removed revealing the ‘finest local stonemason work’ Fairlie had ever seen. That stonework can be seen in the picture below. Fairlie was also responsible for the National Library in Edinburgh and part of the University of Pittsburgh. .